What is Life Coaching and Personal Coaching?

Life coaching and personal coaching services in Raleigh NC

Is Life Coaching or Personal Coaching for you?

How do you choose a great life coach?

And what does a personal coach actually do?

Primarily, personal coaching consists of helping you gain awareness and understanding about where you are now, determine where you want to go –whether it’s in your business or in personal life– and formulate effective strategies to get you to your goal.

Picture a number line from 0 to 10 in your mind. Coaching focuses first on defining where you are now (0) and where you want to be (10). Having an end destination defined is crucial for any coaching process because without it, you will never be able to measure and assess your results and refine new strategies and behaviors.

Most people forget that when you set a goal, you simultaneously define all of the obstacles you will have to overcome to achieve that goal.

For example, if you have never run a day in your life and you signed up for a marathon, you put some big obstacles in place! These obstacles can be defined as patterns of behavior that are mental (limiting beliefs), emotional (fear, overwhelm, self doubt), and physical in nature (my shins hurt today, I’m tired). Your coach’s skill sets need to be able to support you to identify these obstacles and limitations, develop new strategies for success, and refine these processes until they are automatic.

Your personal coach’s other function is to give you feedback and hold you accountable for specific actions you agree to perform in between coaching sessions. It is great to sit on the phone all day and talk about our issues but if a person does not choose to take a different action, nothing will change.

His or her experience is crucial in being able to provide you, the client, with the experience you desire. My coaching is 80% psychology and 20% tools and strategies. That’s because 80% of the challenges that we experience are in our mind. There are two types of fear: functional and non-functional fear. Functional fear is 10% of what we experience in our life today (i.e. remembering not to step off of the curb because the bus is coming down the street). Non-functional fear, the other 90%, we create in our own mind based on the what if’s, what about’s, and why’s we ask ourselves (hence the definition of FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real.

Personal coaching addresses these fears and limiting beliefs preventing you from living life on your own terms.

Whether you are frustrated with certain aspects of your personal or professional life, are at a crossroad and want to determine which path to take, or you are looking to formulate an effective action plan to achieve a specific goal, personal coaching will empower, motivate, and support you with the focus, strategies, feedback, and accountability you need to achieve true and lasting results in the most important areas of your life.

To learn more about personal coaching and life coaching, or to talk to James Murphy about creating the life you truly want, visit www.evolutionforsuccess.com or call 919-745-7569